Home / FEATURED ARTICLES / Pentagon Examining Rules of Engagement After Mexican Military Surrounds and Disarms U.S. Military Personnel INSIDE Texas

Pentagon Examining Rules of Engagement After Mexican Military Surrounds and Disarms U.S. Military Personnel INSIDE Texas

What Finger News

By Jon Dougherty for The National Sentinel

As we anticipated would happen, the Pentagon — no doubt at the behest of the White House — is reevaluating the rules of engagement for U.S. troops deployed along the southwest border after two soldiers were surrounded and disarmed by a small, armed Mexican force north of the international boundary in Texas earlier this month.

As we reported earlier this week, in an incident that had troubling international implications, especially given the tension among Americans regarding illegal immigration, officials with U.S. Northern Command (NORTHCOM) said on Saturday that a squad of armed Mexican troops detained U.S. soldiers for a brief period earlier this month…in Texas.

NORTHCOM told CNN the incident happened in the afternoon on April 13; the U.S. personnel were conducting routine surveillance, according to the command.

“On April 13, 2019, at approximately 2 p.m. CDT, five to six Mexican military personnel questioned two U.S. Army soldiers who were conducting border support operations in an unmarked [Customs and Border Protection] vehicle near the southwest border in the vicinity of Clint, Texas,” NORTHCOM said in a statement.

During the incident, the Mexican troops — all armed — ordered the two U.S. soldiers, a sergeant and a private, out of an unmarked vehicle. NORTHCOM said the Mexican soldiers pointed their weapons at the U.S. troops and detained them for a period of time.

We concluded:

Mind you, the demarcation line and border sectors are well-known to both U.S. and Mexican military personnel.

While this encounter ended without incident, the fallout from an actual confrontation with an exchange of gunfire and casualties is incalculable. Diplomacy aside, it’s hard to imagine that POTUS Donald Trump, who has no doubt been briefed about this incident, would not respond by ordering additional U.S. troops to the border with orders to ‘protect and defend’ the country.

Sounds like we were right.

You Might Like

According to the Washington Examiner:

A senior defense official says the Pentagon is reviewing how U.S. soldiers responded during an incident this month in which Mexican troops detained and disarmed Americans on Texas soil.

The standoff between two U.S. soldiers and as many as six Mexican military officials on April 13 is believed to be the first of its kind, according to the senior defense official from Northern Command, or NORTHCOM. “This is the first incident that we’re aware of that the two militaries came together,” the official told the Washington Examiner.

The two soldiers appear to be active duty Army, not National Guard — at least according to reporting — from Washington state. Reports said they were sitting in an unmarked Customs and Border Protection vehicle when they were moved on by the Mexican troops.

You Might Like

The Mexican soldiers were armed with standard-issue assault rifles; they confiscated one soldier’s M9 Beretta sidearm for a time.

Now, the Pentagon is investigating the incident, which the official said “will help us modify any instructions that we’re giving the troops” about how to deal with such a situation, the Washington Examiner reported, adding:

Troops deployed to the U.S.-Mexico boundary go through joint readiness staging, or training on how to handle dangerous situations in the area. The official said he could not recall anything similar to last Saturday’s encounter having taken place during a previous active-duty troop deployment.

No official protocol exists for how to navigate a run-in with a foreign military, but the senior official said the soldiers were trained to “de-escalate” the situation. By surrendering at least one gun, they followed existing protocol, though it left them unarmed.

No doubt the Trump administration has already protested this encounter through diplomatic channels with the Mexican government. And no doubt that protocols going forward will change, especially if POTUS Trump continues to order U.S. troops to the border in support of federal agents.

American troops are likely to be more heavily armed in the future and, perhaps, be assigned to sectors in numbers greater than two. Either way, the situation along the border is tense; Mexican troops, who regularly patrol the border, are not used to seeing American troops opposite them — making it more likely, not less, that things could spiral out of control if another armed incident takes place.

 

Please Spread the Word and Share This Post

Viewpoints expressed herein are of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted or linked therein, and do not necessarily represent those of True Conservative Pundit

Subscribe to my daily newsletter, and join hundreds of daily readers and receive news and relevant commentary

Don't forget to follow True Conservative Pundit on Facebook, Gab, SpreelyUSA Life, and Twitter

If you value what you see on True Conservative Pundit, please consider donating, any amount helps

donate to TCP News

About Guest Author

One comment

  1. they armed Mexicans entered our country ,to disarm our troops in our county , we should have shot them if possible but sounds like they the Mexican army even out numbers our troop presents , build a dam military training base down there and give them a taste of their own medicine, its nothing but open country down there and military bases are needed now to protect our country, we do not need these illegal sons of a Mexicans in our country ..

Leave a comment - or not. We have NO tolerance for trolls, abusive and inflammatory comments, or those laced with profanity. No more than two links. Keep it clean and on point, or be banned.

x

Check Also

Headline News 11/21/2019

By TCP Staff “An Oasis in a world of fake news – ...